Sunday, January 11, 2009

My First (and last!) Madonna Concert






Surfing the Signs on San Diego (local paper) online... I came across Madonna's concert being advertised. Madonna has always been one entertainer I admired since college. When most thinks she is a "B" I think of it another way and in that she just knows how to market herself and is one savvy business person. See how she has manage to stay in a competitive market and reinvent herself for decades.

I was in college when she was first introduced to pop music and her influence was instantaneous. Here I am with those dangling unmatched earrings. Tops tied in a knot by the belly in unbelievable colors. I had those flowing skirts and bandannas as well. I thought it was so cool!

It didn't take but a few minutes for me to decide that I was going to a Madonna concert when she was in town last November. The prices were ridiculously overpriced for the huge venue of Petco Park. I think this is the only second non-baseball event in this stadium. Petco Park has friendly staff and the place is generally clean.

Madonna is always known to have great productions with high tech creative innovation. So I went past the price issue and went for it.

She showed up on stage late after two hours and from what I heard she did the same thing in the East Coast. The excitement died with the waiting. She did deliver with her energetic dancers, colorful costumes and magnetic visuals.



I did not care for the politics played on stage ("are you as f@#$$ excited as I am?" pro Obama chant) coupled with Obama shirts. It was election night. I thought that entertainers should be just that - entertainers. Leave politics at the door and perhaps do fundraising affairs for higher causes such as poverty, children, environment, etc.

This was my first (and last!) Madonna experience. I thought a little professionalism such as being on time or an apology would have generated a better understanding to the paying client.

No comments: